Friday, February 27, 2015

#9 - Sweet Cornbread

hadn't been to the grocery store yet and didn't feel much like going, so I needed to pull something together for dinner from what I already had in the kitchen.  We had some leftover brisket, tri-tip and pulled pork from our new favorite barbecue place, Leadbelly’s and I didn't want that to go to waste.  I threw a bunch of stuff (black beans, onions, fire roasted tomatoes, chili beans, spices, fire roasted frozen corn, and the meat) in a pot and voila… Leadbelly Chili!  There won’t be a recipe post for that one being that it was just a grab and dump kind of thing!  I AM posting the recipe I used for the cornbread I made to go with it.  Here ya go:


Sweet Cornbread

Makes 1 - 9x13 pan

Ingredients:

4 eggs, whites and yolks seperated
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup cornmeal
2 cups flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
In a medium-size bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, vanilla, and melted butter and stir.
Mix in cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt - stirring to incorporate, but do not over mix.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold them into the batter.
Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure it is cooked through.

(Recipe #9 of 52)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stoppin' by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!